Friday, September 27, 2013

I had a fantastic week in Seattle with the best RIA firms in the Seattle and Bellevue with Mike Shinnick followed by a Fidelity Dinner event with Shinnick as a keynote speaker.
  • Bristlecone Advisors - Matt Talbot
  • Freestone Capital - Rebecca Wilcox
  • Laird Norton Wealth Management - Theresa Wells
  • Coldstream - James Walsh

Sales call with Jason Steurwalt of Littman/Gregory to present EM Select.

Two new wins this week:

EP Wealth Advisors  ($1.4 Billion AUM, Torrence, CA)
I've been working with Kevin Ashworth over the past few months on their small cap growth search. JB and I did a DD call with them in early Sept. following my initial call and follow up material with them a few weeks earlier. JB did a great job of fielding questions and getting them comfortable with our process. They'll be moving approximately $25 million into WGROX (and WIGRX) over the next few months. Depending on our estimated year-end distributions, some may come in Jan. They made changes due to a PM change (at Barron I believe). They are ranked by Financial Advisor Magazine as one of the top RIAs in the nation and tend to be very long-term investors. I expect they'll be with us for many years.

Morton Capital Management ($1.1 Billion AUM, Calabasis, CA)

I've had a relationship with their founder, Lon Morton, for many years and have had a chance to work more recently with their CIO, Sasan Fiaz, as they've been trying to round out their liquid alts offering for clients this year. He was very thorough with his research and while he didn't require a call with Mike, he was able to get a very good understanding of the strategy. In fact, he involved me in writing his formal recommendation to the rest of the committee which I thought was interesting. As it turns out, FMLSX is being added to their recommended list as a compliment to their current holding (Robeco) for a portion of their new allocations to the L/S space. Sasan couldn't offer a specific dollar amount but conservatively expects we'll see $10-20 mil into FMLSX over the next several months. They too are ranked as one of the top 100 RIAs in the nation by Financial Advisor Magazine and are very long-term investors.

No comments: